The First Baptist Church of Vincennes was founded by the efforts of Mrs. Mary Klapp Heberd. The first organizational meeting was held in the John S. Gillespie home May 13, 1862. Mrs. Elza Wise was the first member baptized by First Baptist in the winter of 1862 in the Wabash River.
The history of churches is often marked by its houses of worship. The first church building was a white frame structure at the corner of Fifth and St. Peter Streets (now 5th and Broadway), dedicated May 6, 1864. This building was replaced by a building dedicated April 25, 1915. This building served the growing congregation until 1994. It is now the home of the Olde Towne Players Civic Theater. The present facilities at 2625 Wabash Ave. had ground breaking July 10, 1994 and were dedicated October 1, 1995. A second floor Education wing was completed 2001. The congregation is in the process of planning an addition for expanded children and youth ministries.
To read the longer history of First Baptist church is to meet hundreds of godly men and women who have served and sacrificed for the sake of the gospel. Many fine leaders, both laity and clergy, have shepherded this flock. Long pastorates provide stable leadership and periods of growth. First Baptist has been blessed with long periods of godly leadership. The longest pastorate was that of Reverend Jack Davis serving 1953-1969. Recent Sr. Pastors include Rev. Ron Kerr (1969-80); Dr. Ken Stout (1980-88); Dr. Fred Johnson (1988-94); Rev. David Easter (1995-2002); Dr. Larry Taylor (2004); and Dan Clemens began his pastorate November 1, 2005.